Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Flury-Prinz Duo at Carnegie Hall

Last night at Weill Recital Hall, Dieter Flury, flute, and Maria Prinz, piano, presented a program inspired by Debussy's L'après-midi d'un faune in honor of the composer's 150th birthday.

I decided to check it out since:

(a) I'm ignorant about this type of music,
(b) tickets were reasonable at $40, and
(c) it gave me an excuse to have dinner at the recently opened Benares, a few blocks away from Carnegie Hall and now my second favorite Indian restaurant (after Junoon).

I'm familiar with L'après-midi as an orchestral piece and so it was interesting to hear the transcription for piano and flute. The other works provided a fine counterpoint, particularly the Bach and the Prokofiev. The Milhaud and the Enescu were also delightful and sort of reminded me of Satie.

The hall was packed. Not surprising, I guess, considering the duo's pedigree.

Program:

Debussy - Syrix for Flute solo (1913)
J.S. Bach - Sonata in B minor BWV 1030 (1735)
Milhaud - Sonatina for Flute and Piano (1922)
Enescu - Cantabila et Presto (1921)
Debussy - Prelude a l'après-midi d'un faune (1894)
Prokofiev - Sonata for Flute and Piano in D Major (1942-43)

No comments:

Post a Comment