Thursday, March 8, 2012

Boston Symphony Orchestra

I guess I can't stay away from Carnegie Hall. I couldn't resist last night's program and the Boston Symphony Orchestra delivered Berlioz's Overture to Benvenuto Cellini and Symphonie fantastique with polish and feeling.

I also discovered the young French pianist Cédric Tiberghien who played the second movement of Ravel's G Major Concerto with such haunting delicacy that I could hardly breathe during the filigreed passages. His encore, La Cathédrale engloutie by Debussy, was unfamiliar but also very beautiful. I'll try to find a recording.

Performers:
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Christoph Eschenbach, Conductor
Cédric Tiberghien, Piano

Program:
BERLIOZ Overture to Benvenuto Cellini
RAVEL Piano Concerto in G Major
BERLIOZ Symphonie fantastique

Encore:
DEBUSSY "La Cathédrale engloutie" from Préludes, Book I



* * *

Before the concert I had dinner at Seasonal, an Austrian restaurant a block away from Carnegie Hall. Seasonal was awarded one Michelin star and I can see why. The food was delicious and the five-course tasting menu featured Wolfgang Ban's and Eduard Frauneder's modern interpretation of Austrian cooking. Definitely worth the splurge.

No comments:

Post a Comment