Monday, July 2, 2012

Fireflies on the Water



This enchanting image is Fireflies on the Water, an installation by Yayoi Kusama which is currently on view at the Whitney Museum.

The small dark room consists of mirrors, a pool of water, and 150 tiny lights strung on wires which give the illusion of a flickering, endless space. On the left edge of the image, you'll see a small platform where each guest stands for the allotted solitary minute.

Here's a tip: wear black, in order to "disappear" into the reflections. When I saw this yesterday I was wearing light clothing which was multiplied  infinitely - all I could think about was "God, I need to go on a diet" which is probably not what the artist intended.

The installation is part of a larger Kusama retrospective which will open on July 12 and run through September 30, 2012. I can't wait to see the survey of this important minimalist and conceptual artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment